Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shifting Gears

 Just like last year, business has slowed down to a trickle. I'm down to one personal chef client, and bakery business is pretty much nil at this point. So, time to get to work on other things!

 When we rearranged the house, I was finally able to set up my sewing machine permanently, and also unearthed my crochet box, so I have been making grocery bags. More cities are getting rid of plastic bags, and really, it makes more sense. Yes, it is a pain to remember the bags, so I leave some in every car. With Austin's bag ban looming, I'm making a batch for each of the three vehicles, after some point in 2013, stores will have to charge for plastic bags.
 Here's one of the crocheted bags, 100% cotton yarn.



 The bags I am making now are from upcycled jeans. These are not pristine new jeans like the ones you see in the store, these are hard-worn jeans that were worked in, they have stains and wear on them. They also make awesome bags that can handle a LOT of weight. All the bags I make can be machine washed, and will hold up for years and years. I have some that are over 10 years old now, and still going strong.

 I'll be posting pics on the Sugar³ Facebook page, as well as here, and I am opening an Etsy store, I'll post the addy once it is open for biz. They sell fast once the pics go up, so if you see one you like, better grab it quick! (The one pictured above is already gone!)

 S and I are also hoping to get some Steampunk gear up for sale as well on the Etsy site. We both really like the look of Punk'd out stuff, and it looks fun to make as well.  Onward and upward!

2 comments:

  1. The jeans bags sound cool! Would like to see a picture.

    Note to self - Steam punk grocery bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get some pics of the jeans bags up ASAP!

    ReplyDelete