Monday, August 31, 2009

Recipe of the Week - Toad in the Hole

This is a very easy breakfast dish I first saw on the movie Moonstruck. I asked my half-Italian mother what it was, and she repiled "Oh, that's Toad in the Hole!" Ok, so the name's not so good, but the dish is!

1 red bell pepper (Must use reds, it doesn't really taste right with the other colors), cored, de-seeded and sliced longways into thin strips.
Butter
Eggs
Thick sliced bread of your choice. I used English toasting bread this time.
Take some butter, melt it in a skillet and saute the pepper strips until soft and slightly brownish on the edges. When they are done, remove them from the pan and add more butter.
Take your bread and cut a hole right in the middle of the slice. You can use a biscuit cutter, or a knife. This is where your egg will go, so size it accordingly. Reserve the round of bread if desired.
Place the bread in the skillet with the butter. The bread will soak up the pepper-flavored butter while it cooks. I also cook the cut out rounds as well. Break an egg into the hole. Don't worry if it runs out a bit.
Cook the whole thing until the bread is crisp and golden brown on the bottom, then carefullly flip it over and cook the other side till the egg is done to your liking. I like mine a bit squishy so the yolk runs out when I cut it.
Once bread/eggs are cooked, transfer to plate and top with pepper slices. Quick and easy, and very tasty!
(Sorry I couldn't get more pics up, having issues posting multiple images. I'll see if I can't get that fixed before next week's recipe post)
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Never had this with peppers... sounds the yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good with deviled ham on top too.

    ReplyDelete