Friday, September 26, 2008

Some Like It Raw

So, I'm cruising around the Net looking for homemade almond milk recipes, when I notice something in common with all of them: leftover almond pulp. Not being one to waste a food item, I set out to find something to do with all that pulp I would soon be producing. Lots of people suggested using it in baking, or soups, or several other good ideas. Then I stumbled across a raw foods site that talked about using the leftover nut pulp from milk making to make things like raw cookies.
So I made up my first batch of nut milk (a huge success!), took my leftover pulp, mixed it with shredded carrots, coconut, dried cranberries and honey, formed it into cookie shapes, put it in my trusty food dehydrator, and out came raw cookies! No, they don't taste like a fresh baked Tollhouse, but they are a nice snack, and (hopefully!) a bit healthier.
Being intrigued with the whole raw thing, I'll be doing some experimenting in the coming weeks to see just what can be made with raw food, and more importantly, how does it taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment