Monday, September 29, 2008

The Raw Experiment

I made two batches of nut/seed milks, which came out ok. The resulting leftover pulp was used for raw cookies and crackers. Batch of cookies #1 had shredded raw carrots and dried cranberries added to it, and it was ok. Chewy, with a nice mellow flavor. W, however, asked if they could be made with chocolate chips. (Of course!) So Batch #2 had brown sugar, flax seeds and chocolate chips in it, and were excellent! I will definitely be making them again.
The crackers were very tasty, if fragile. I added lemon pepper, garlic powder, flax seeds and Italian seasoning to the mix, and dried them until they were crisp. They kept well for the couple of days it took to make them. I'll need to find out how to make them a little less delicate.
I did some reading up on raw foods, and the recipes I found were amazing. Unfortunately, most would be rather expensive to make, so I will keep reading and see what I can find that is more practical. I would like to try raw bread, and a few other things. At least if I should have to go on a raw diet for health reasons, I'll be semi-prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment