Sunday, October 28, 2012

Austin ComicCon!

  I survived ComicCon 2012. I feel like I have been run over by several dozen virgin geeks in too-small Star Trek costumes. I forgot my staff, and didn't have a cane in the car, so I managed without it, and am paying the price today. Add on top the drama of S's ex gf being there, plus working up till time to leave for the con.

 We thought we had missed the STTNG cast, but S read the sign wrong, and they came back to the floor after their panel, which we did totally miss. While I have no $$ to get autographs/pics, I did get to at least see them all. Marina Sirtis looks amazing! She is still beautiful. Gates McFadden looked good, but being a natural redhead, she was almost transparent, she was so pale. Brent Spiner has aged the most, and Michael Dorn, who's bald as an egg these days. Sir Patrick looked like he was having an ok time, I had to wait for the sea of virgins to thin out before I could see him. LaVar Burton looked pretty much the same, with a bit it of gray, but don't we all. Wil Wheaton seems to have gotten over his assholiness about cons, and even tho he was sick according to his FB post, he loooked like he was enjoying himself once the meds kicked in. Jonathan Frakes has put on a few pounds, and his beard's gone all gray, but he is still a good looking somebody! I spent most of my time standing next to his booth, and he made eye contact and smiled at me with teeth and everything. Still SO cute! I would have liked to seen Colm Meany, and of course Denise Crosby was washed out of the cast after her Playboy spread. (Gene Roddenberry was a huge prude, even tho he was in a long term triad with Barret and Nichols.) I was in so much pain I did not get to go to any of the panels, and Walker would have expired if he had to sit through something like that. Hopefully next year he can find a little herd of friends to go with him.

 And speaking of friends, I ran into an old friend from many years ago. We had lost touch, and I'm glad we reconnected. We chatted for a few, and he asked me if I did gluten free when I told him I had a bakery. Looks like I might have to try it again, since several people have asked.

 W seemed to have a good time. He still gets easily overwhelmed by that many people, but he did really good. He got to see the 501st Stormtrooper legion, "Vader's Fist". He got pics with several of them, one guy actually approached him and talked to him, and asked to get a pic with him. He was also "recruited" by the Sith Shadow Council of Texas, a group that does charity events, their founder is on dialysis, so much of their fund raising goes to kidney research. W is thinking of joining, but we'll have to get a better costume. Luckily Mom here did 10 years in theater, most of it in the costume department, and I can sew, plus armoring and other stuff. We'll see if he really wants to or if it is just a Con thing.

 Today is rest and relax, and back to work tomorrow. With any luck, next year will be not nearly as stressful, and hopefully I'll be in better shape, or at least have an old person scooter to ride around on.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith Thibault10/30/12, 5:56 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete