Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Quest for clotted cream

My sister, who experienced her first British afternoon tea last year, has been on me to find/invent a recipe for clotted cream, which can't actually be made here in the U.S., due to the fact that you can't legally buy unpasteurized milk, and according to both sisters, the jarrred version sucks big hairy dog balls. So I'm trying a substitute involving simmering heavy whipping cream in a double boiler until it's reduced by half and forms a crust. Another version I found was basically home made butter mixed with sour cream and a little sugar, but I'm a bit skeptical about that one after reading the reviews. I also ran across a vegan version which doesn't even bear mentioning here, as it was too scary. I'll post tomorrow once the cream is done. Guess this means I'll have to make scones!

2 comments:

  1. Some things simply cannot be faked. When I was a child I lived in England. We took a trip to Cornwall one summer where I had a real-for-real Devonshire cream tea. Substitutions on this simply must not be allowed. The only solution is to take a trip to Cornwall. (which I have not done since and would love to, because OMG - the cream!!!)

    Also - the crap they call "Alfredo" in this country is not even a faint glimmer of what you get at the actual Alfredo's restaurant in Italy.

    I think this is one of the main reasons I do not cook... my parents totally spoiled me for anything inauthentic - so now I don't even try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand about that! Unless I grow them, I haven't had a good tomato since I was a kid, back when the trucks supplying the grocery store were Old Man 'Jones' and others in ratty pickups bringing produce in from their farms just outside of town.
    Never having been to England, I have no idea what the real thing tastes like. I do remember real milk and cream from the old days tho, nothing like the insipid stuff we have now. What's a foodie to do?

    ReplyDelete