Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Frugal Paganism

Doing some reading on the Web this morning, and just for fun typed in 'frugal Pagan'. Not too much stuff came up, but one page I read talked about how you didn't have to have "stuff" to be Pagan, like Tarot cards, wands, cups, tons of candles and incense, etc. Not being Wiccan, I never use any of these things in my daily rituals. OK, I take that back, there is a chalice on the altar outside, which is filled with fresh water every day for the Temple cats.
Being frugal in any realm is a matter of mind, over matter, as it were. You think you need a wand? Go find a nice branch or twig fallen off a local tree that appeals to you. Chalice? Try a half of a walnut shell, or coconut shell, depending on how many people are in ritual. Cloth? Any will do, even a dish towel (Especially good for Earth mages, it has the kitchen energy in it already!) Candles can be made cheaply or bought even more cheaply at the dollar store. Incense can be anything fragrant, even dried grass, if that's all you can afford, or dried flowers from your yard/garden. It doesn't have to be the heavy imported-from-India stuff, it just needs to smoke and smell at least not noxious, it's the smoke that's the important part, not the incense itself.
Sometimes people forget that it's the thought behind the ritual, not the actions themselves. Really, you only need yourself, and that's always with you!

2 comments:

  1. As a teen, before I became a, well, nothingist, I suppose... I became interested in Wicca for a period of years. Teens have very little in the way of money, so making things was definitely the way to go. I still have my wand - made of a stick wrapped in some colored yarn. I loved making that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the "olden days", you had to make your stuff, it didn't come from a sweat shop in India. Not that some of the imported stuff isn't nice, just a bit disconnected to the spirit of the purpose, I think.

    ReplyDelete