Thursday, December 27, 2012

Winding Down, and Gearing Up

 The  2012 Yule/Xmas holidays are coming to a close. The older I get, the more anticlimactic the whole thing is to me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy giving and receiving presents, and visiting with friends, but the holiday doesn't hold the excitement it used to. Maybe in years future when there might be grandkiddlies.

 Things will be a bit different in the bakery in the upcoming year. I just am not in a good location for walk-in traffic, Americans are too conditioned to going to a big glass and steel waste of resources to get their baked goods, I think the house thing is scaring them off, so I will be closing the 'storefront'. Another issue I ran into regularly was people placing orders, and then never picking them up. Oh, they always have a good reason why they didn't make it, but what they fail to realize is that when they don't pick up their order, they have wasted not only my time, but the ingredients that went into making said items. Usually they don't go to waste, either we eat them or give them away, but it is still a HUGE pain and very inconsiderate for people to do that. So, I will be using Etsy or another online medium from now on, where the customer has to order and place a non-refundable deposit before the order will be prepared.

 Something else I will be working on is more things for my Etsy shop. As I age, and become less mobile due to the massive amount of structural damage I have suffered over the decades, I know my time in the bakery will be limited, and I will need something else to occupy my time, and bring in a little moolah. I have tubs and tubs of stuff I have saved for many years to use in art/craft projects, time to get those cleaned out.

 S has been thinking about returning to school and getting his bachelor's. Turns out, an associate in networking is pretty much worthless, and no one will even consider hiring him with just a 2 yr degree and no experience. And since his job pays full tuition and books, might as well take advantage of it.

 I will be giving up texting on my cellphone this coming year, ATT no longer offers free texting with the employee package, and since someone I used to associate with kept texted me even AFTER I told them repeatedly that I had limited texting, I had S add the text package. Turns out I can't get the free texting back now as it was grandfathered in, so I will no longer have a texting package on my phone, only a pay-per-text option, as I no longer need unlimited texting. I am really pissed about this, I fucking HATE people who do not understand boundaries, things like NO and STOP, and have no respect for others.

 2012 was an ok year, I'm hoping that 2013 will be a good/great one. Only time will tell!

2 comments: