Sunday, December 2, 2012

Quiet Sunday Morning Musings

We live where two of the major freeways that run through Austin, 183 and MoPac, cross each other. We are right under the X. There is constant traffic noise, like a dull hissing roar, in the background constantly. Early Sunday mornings are the only time that it is quasi quiet. I like to sit out on the patio and just chill on Sunday mornings.

 That all came to a halt a couple of months ago. The old couple next door passed away, leaving their grown son in possession of the house. He wasn't able to keep up with it, so his older brother and the brother's friend moved in. With 3 LOUD yapping swiffers, otherwise known as Pomeranians.

 We had started building the new hot tub area out back close to their side of the yard before they moved in. I'm wondering if we might not ought to move it elsewhere, there will be no way that we will be able to enjoy a quiet soak with the constant yapyapyapyap coming from the next yard. Unfortunately, that side is where the only outdoor electric outlet is, out in the middle of the yard, where our swimming pool used to be. We have already put up a new stretch of privacy fence around the tub/outdoor area, but that will not stop the constant dog harassment noise.  I try to maintain a cordial relationship with the neighbors, it is hell living with assholes next door, as I know all too well from experience. I have tried explaining to the guys that we do not have CHCA, and keep our windows open most of the year. They let the dogs out at 5 a.m., and the dogs run to our fence and bark. Sometimes for 15 solid minutes. I have explained that my husband works nights, that this is not cool. They agreed, and the dogs now get let out at 5:15. To bark for loooong minutes, shrill constant yaps.

 I love living in a city. There is any and everything one might need, or want to do here. I also love the anonymity of living in the city. I grew up in a small town, and hated being constantly watched, with every word and action duly reported to my parents, even long after I had become an adult. But the downside to living in the city is the neighbors being all around, and right up on you. We do have a nice size lot and a large (for a city property) back yard. But what good is a nice yard if you can't use it because of constant harassment? From what the neighbor guys have told me, they get a new swiffer every time one dies. So no hope that the dogs will die off and the next ones be more quiet.

 I don't want to make enemies of these guys, as they will all be living here until they die, since they are all non-dating gay men. The oldest brother is planning on moving back in fairly soon (also gay, this family had 4 boys, 3 of which turned out gay.). I guess I should be thankful that it is a house full of gay men, if it was a family with a bunch of kids, I think I would have to move. I can not stand the shrill voices of children. I like children just fine, but I have raised mine, and helped raise many of the nieces and nephews, and am done with dealing with little children on a daily basis.

 My oldest sister came a few months back to tour Sun City in Georgetown, and I went with her. While I love the idea of an adult-only community, I did not like the cookie cutter houses, and the way restrictive community rules. I'm thinking that maybe the motorhome community have the right idea, live in a mobile house, and then if you don't like the neighbors, simply drive to somewhere else. The downside is that then I wouldn't have a hot tub. Ah well, there's always a trade off. We'll see how things are after W finishes college and gets a job, we might just give him this house and move elsewhere. That's a few years down the road however, so in the meantime, we'll have to keep the waterhose close at hand.

2 comments:

  1. Why no! I have no idea how your dogs got all wet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked really well! This morning every time they barked, I quietly went out and sprayed them with the hose. After the 5th time, I could hear them barking on the other side of their house. Can't wait for them to complain, their father used to do it to my dogs daily until I got the privacy fence up.

    ReplyDelete