Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Land, having it, sharing it, using it

 Anyone who has known me for any length of time knows I am a hippie at heart. I was born in the 60's, and mostly raised by my older siblings, since I was an unwanted pregnancy at the end of fertility. I went to places with my  much older beatnik and hippie siblings that most small children probably should not have been exposed to.  As I got older, and my siblings "grew up", I still stuck to wanting a more commune/rural existence. After getting married and being brainwashed that I was being 'childish', and should grow up and become an adult, I went to college, got a job in my field, and started down the long road to misery and depression.

 After getting rid of the husband and others who turned me into this unhappy person, I began to reexamine my life. I knew I wanted to return to a more rural community based lifestyle, but now due to joint custody and other considerations, I am stuck in the big city of Austin, right smack dab in the middle. (It was the north end when I moved here.) As I got older, my health issues began to catch up with me, and living out in the country became problematic. What to do, what to do?

 During this time, I started reading about urban agriculture, and how Cuba used urban agriculture to turn their food crisis around after the collapse of the Soviet Union (The main source of their daily food supplies.) left them without even basic foodstuffs. One family in California have even managed to produce thousands of pounds of food on their standard city lot, as well as brewing their own biofuel. They have an entire family however, working the small urban homestead.

 Owning a house in town on a standard city lot, I have tried with mixed success to raise a portion of our own food. My physical condition limits me, and I need some young strong backs to do the work. What I would like to do it build a tiny off grid house/yurt/tipi (Another interest of mine.) in the back for someone to live in while they work the 'citystead' full time. (Leaning heavily towards tipi on a foundation or deck.) In exchange for living space, the person(s) would help tend garden and small livestock, do handyman work around the place, and take a share of the food produced that they could consume or sell/barter. Any takers?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment